Here’s a fresh round-up of Covid insanity . . .
1. No good deed goes unpunished, right? A teacher in Connecticut who raised more than $40,000 last year to help hundreds of struggling families just found out he owes the IRS $16,000 in taxes on that money.
2. A group of OTTERS at the Georgia Aquarium have tested positive for Covid. The aquarium thinks they caught it from, quote, “an asymptomatic staff member” and fortunately, all of the otters look like they’re going to make a full recovery.
3. An 89-year-old woman in Wales was released from the hospital after she recovered from Covid . . . but the ambulance accidentally dropped her off at the wrong house. And she got into a strange bed and tucked herself in there.
Her family managed to track her down and get her home.
4. Do you think you’ll wear masks forever? There are definitely some countries, like Japan, where people wear masks . . . and now some people in the U.S. think they may choose to keep wearing a mask, even after the pandemic is over.
One woman says, quote, “The only time I will ever take the mask off is when I hear there are zero deaths, and it stays that way for a couple of months . . . but I highly doubt that’s going to happen anytime soon.”
5. Here are the updated stats on vaccinations and Covid cases as of last night . . .
Covid vaccinations in the U.S.: 132.3 million people have received at least one dose or 39.9% of the population. 85.3 million people, or 25.7%, are fully vaccinated.
New daily cases in the U.S.: 51,650, with 488 new deaths. That brings the total to 32.4 million cases, with more than 581,000 deaths . . . and more than 25 million who’ve now recovered.
Total cases worldwide: 142.7 million . . . with more than 3 million deaths . . . and more than 121.2 million people who’ve beaten the virus globally.